You will be helped to extend your use of watercolour techniques and to develop your freedom of expression to create paintings that are exciting, creative and personal. The experimental use of pastels, inks and other media in connection with watercolour will also be covered. Subject matter includes still life, landscape and the human figure. All abilities are welcome.
Part Time Courses
13 January – 31 March 2022 / 10.00am – 4.00pm
12 Thursdays / No half term break
Tutor: Natasha Lien
Course #: TH09
Please buy the following materials and bring with you on your first day:
• Pencils – 3B • Eraser (Winsor and Newton ‘Griffin’)
• Cartridge or similar sketch book A4 or A5
• One pad good watercolour paper (rough/Not or smooth as preferred) not less than 140lb (A3 size ideal) or large loose sheets of paper
• Mixing Palette: Moulded plastic or ceramic with compartments/ reservoirs
• 2 containers for water to use for cleaning brushes
• Brush: Good medium-sized watercolour brush (size 6 or 7, preferably soft animal hair)
• 1” roll of Masking tape.
• Paints – Preferably in tubes. Ideal colours to get started are listed below but a set colours in a box are fine. (Winsor and Newton artist’s watercolours or their ‘Cotman’ student range are good).
It is recommended that you have one really good size 6 or 7 brush as opposed to lots of cheaper brushes. The Langton, Bockingford or Arches paper are recommended (available in the Heatherley school shop – please bring cash).
Recommended pigments available in small tubes (or pans if preferred)
• French Ultramarine
• Raw Sienna
• Burnt Sienna
• Alizarin Crimson
• Cerulean Blue
• Cadmium Yellow Pale