Create a Half Life-Size Standing Figure
This course will introduce you to the techniques needed to make a figurative sculpture, working from a life model.
Learn how to make a measured half life-sized standing figure in clay with an internal armature. Gesture and proportion are key to producing a successful standing figure that captures the likeness of the model, with believable weight and balance. Once this is established the focus will be more on the modelling of forms, creating muscle, flesh and bone. You will then be able to mould and cast a section of it in plaster to either stand on a base or hang on a wall.
Laura is a classically trained figurative sculptor, following the Italian tradition. This course gives you the opportunity to learn classical techniques, providing a foundation for developing your own style.
What you’ll learn:
- Learn the fundamentals of figurative sculpture, including gesture, proportion and form
- Work from a life model to create a half life-size standing figure in clay
- Learn how to work with an armature to support your sculpture
- Mould and cast a section of your figure in plaster
- Gain insights into classical sculpture techniques
Who this course is for:
- Anyone interested in learning the basics of figurative sculpture regardless of their experience level. This course is a great starting point for developing your own style.
- All levels welcome.
- All materials and tools provided
- Individual tuition
9 January – 19 March / 10.00am – 4.00pm
11 weeks / No half term break
Tutor: Laura Postle
Course #: TU38