Sculpture from the Figure
Figurative Sculpture in Clay for Beginners and Intermediates
Learn the basics of figurative sculpture in clay.
This enjoyable, informal course is open to beginners and more experienced students. It is a lovely way to get an introduction to figurative sculpture or to refine the skills you already have.
Starting with a demonstration you will be helped through the process of creating a figurative sculpture in clay. You will be shown how to assess and express anatomical proportion on the figure. We will work from life with a female model for the first six weeks and a male model for the second six weeks.
Individual tuition will be given and you will have the opportunity to create a number of sculptures from the same pose. You will learn to use different sculpting tools confidently, to make strong marks on clay and, by really looking, to create interesting, characterful figures and portrait heads.
Finished pieces can be fired at a small extra cost, and you will be shown how to colour and finish your terracotta pieces.
What you’ll learn:
- The basics of figurative clay sculpture
- How to use different sculpting tools confidently
- How to make strong marks on clay
- How to create interesting and characterful figures and portrait heads
- How to assess and express anatomical proportion on the figure
Who this course is for:
- Beginners and intermediate students interested in learning figurative clay sculpture
- All materials and tools provided
- Individual tuition
- Firing of finished pieces (small extra cost)
- Instruction on how to color and finish terracotta pieces
On sale from 22 February 2024
17 April – 22 May / 6.30pm – 9.00pm
On sale from 18 April 2024
29 May – 3 July / 6.30pm – 9.00pm
Tutor: Gil Whyman
Course #: WD16