Open Studio / Drop In Sessions
A flexible opportunity to work from a model
The booking system for Open Studio / Drop On Sessions is changing
To be notified of when the Autumn Term sessions will go on sale and how the new system will work subscribe to our newsletter.
If you are already subscribed, please update your preferences to include: Drop-In Courses (Open Studio and Printworkshop)
Drop In Sessions previously Open Studio
Heatherleys Drop In Sessions, previously Open Studio, are based on the traditional French Atelier system.
They give artists open access to a studio in which they can work from a model with the assistance of a tutor. These Drop In Sessions have been part of our provision for artists since we were founded in 1845.
We welcome both the beginner and more established artists. You may join at any time of the year and choose your own pattern of attendance through our online booking system.
Long poses are held on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Each pose is set up and supervised by the same tutor and gives students the opportunity to work on a painting or drawing for a number of days.
On Fridays the emphasis is on life drawing. New techniques and approaches are explored through both short and long poses.
Academic Year 2023/2024
10 half day sessions £310
(£31 per half day / £62 per day)
6 half day sessions £192
(£32 per half day / £64 per day)
2 half day sessions £66
(£33 per half day / £66 per day)
AUTUMN TERM 2023
Monday 25 September – Saturday 16 December
SPRING TERM 2024
Monday 8 January – Saturday 23 March
SUMMER TERM 2024
Monday 15 April – TBC
Closed bank holidays: Mondays 6 May and 27 May
What to bring
It’s helpful to bring a sketchbook, pencils and any other materials you might like to use.
We provide easels and drawing boards and we have a small art shop in the school. We have a range of materials including paper, charcoal and pencils for drawing and brushes, paints and canvases for painting.
Some students like to bring in their own art materials, which you’re welcome to do. If you’re a beginner we can advise you on the best materials for you to start with.
Your tutor will always be able to make suggestions regarding materials for the session.
Open Studio Drop-In Sessions Policy
Terms & Conditions
- You have a 14-day cooling off period, after which fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- The Open Studio Drop In Sessions ticket is valid for one academic year and expires on the last day of the Summer Term.
- Any credits remaining after the last day of the Open Studio Drop In Sessions Summer Term (e.g. Wednesday 28 September 2022 – Saturday 8 July 2023) may be used to purchase a Summer Holiday course for that academic year.
- Credits are not transferable to any other course or subsequent academic year.
Attending your session
- Sessions must be paid for in advance. This can be done online or by coming to the reception before the start of your session.
- Please collect your card from the reception before your first session.
- You must give your name and card to the session tutor at the beginning of each half day session. The tutor will enter your name in the register and mark your attendance for each half day session on your card.
- Open Studio Drop In Sessions have limited capacity. Please arrive early to secure your place and avoid disappointment. Heatherleys and the session tutor reserve the right to refuse entry once the session has reached capacity.
If you forget your card
- If you forget your card, you must purchase a new card from reception to cover your session/s. This must be a minimum of a two half-day pass.
Bring a friend
You may receive one free session if you introduce a friend who buys an Open Studio Drop In Sessions ticket of 10 half day sessions. Subject to terms and conditions. Your friend must be new to Open Studio Drop In Sessions and not have attended previously.