This course runs during the Summer Term only.
London is able to offer the artist so many exciting opportunities, from the natural beauty of the great parks to the fascination of capturing figures in a busy street scene. Our group will spend time in a series of pre-arranged locations which you will be encouraged to explore by means of watercolour, oil painting, pastel and drawing media. Indoor options are planned so that you can get on with your work whatever the weather. Being part of a supportive and lively group will give you the confidence to tackle the challenge of working outside. We welcome all abilities.
IMPORTANT: Please bring a hat and clothing to protect you from cold, rain or sun, as appropriate.
29 April – 15 July 2022 / 10.00 – 4.00pm
11 Fridays / No half term break
Tutor: Melissa Scott-Miller & Natasha Lien
Course #: FR25
Download your course material list(PDF) >
The Urban Landscape Course Code: FR25
Summer Term only Materials List
The main recommendation is to keep your equipment as practical and lightweight as possible; a few colours, plastic containers, light wooden easel, small tubes of paint, a few brushes etc.
The following list is for guidance. If you already have a lot of materials bring them, improvise, de-clutter before buying new things.
NB. Possibly the most important equipment is a hat and the sort of clothing which protects you against cold, rain or sun, depending on the weather.
- Lightweight folding wooden easel (eg W&N ‘Dart’). Box easel if you have one
Supports: canvases or canvas boards. Buy sizes in pairs for ‘corking’ in travel
- Cotton rags, eg old T-shirts.
- Palette: lightweight wood or paper tear-off.
- 2 small metal reservoirs for thinners etc
- Pigments. A limited palette is recommended comprising 2 reds, 2 yellows and 2 blues.
- The following is given if you are unused to choosing a limited palette: Titanium White, Winsor Yellow, Yellow Ochre, Light Red, Alizarin Crimson, French Ultramarine
- Brushes: Small, medium and large oil (hog) brushes between sizes 2-6
- Plastic palette with compartments and reservoirs
- One or two good quality brushes (sable or soft animal hair if possible, nylon if not) between sizes 4 to 8
- Specialist watercolour paper min weight 140lb in block for support min size A4
- Small sketch book
- Kitchen roll
- Plastic pots etc for water
- Old water bottle (eg mineral water bottle)
- Limited palette. See above for oil but you don’t need white, substitute Cerulean Blue or Raw Umber.
- 3B pencil, putty rubber, sharpener